Lipreading.me.uk – October 2022
This is the Privacy Notice of Helen Barrow trading as Lipreading.me.uk. We take your privacy very seriously so please read through our Privacy Notice. It includes information about:
- Why we collect and keep information about you.
- What information we collect.
- How long we may keep your information.
- Who may see your information.
- Who we may share your information with.
- Your rights concerning your information.
Lipreading.me.uk (Lipreading) process personal information (Personal Data) every day. This is used by Lipreading and their associates as part of their normal work.
Lipreading take their duty to protect your personal information very seriously and all processing will be in line with the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) as tailored by the Data Protection Act 2018 and current general UK legislation.
What Personal Data do we collect?
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified.
This includes a name, identification number, address, email address, IP address, photo, date of birth, and phone number. It also covers any factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural, or social identity of a person.
We will take all reasonable means to keep your Personal Data confidential whether this is held on the computer, on paper, or other media.
Lipreading may collect the following information about you:
- Identity Data: name, age/date of birth and gender.
- Contact Data: postal address including billing and delivery addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses.
- Financial details: your bank account details.
- Emergency contact details: name, relationship and contact number.
- Classes and workshops attended.
- Your web browsing activities on my website.
- Your communication and marketing preferences.
- Your correspondence and communication with us.
- Publicly available personal data including information shared on social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Your computer’s IP address.
- Any information necessary for the provision of our services.
We will also process Personal Data about our suppliers, any employees, independent contractors, advisers, and professional experts.
This list is not exhaustive, and we may need to collect additional data for the purposes set out in this policy. Some of the above Personal Data is collected directly, i.e., volunteered by you via our website, telephone calls or emails or via Zoom / Teams. Other Personal Data is collected indirectly, i.e., when you are browsing our website.
For any information, please contact Helen Barrow of Lipreading.me.uk on Email: email@example.com
Telephone: 07976 268810. Please note that texts are preferred due to my hearing loss.
For independent advice about data protection issues, you can contact:
The Information Commissioner
Some data is deemed Sensitive Data and we can only process this with your consent. If the consent is not forthcoming or withdrawn, we may not be able to complete the provision of our services with no liability on our part. Sensitive Data includes information about racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data, sex life or sexual orientation, and medical information.
The website is not intended for children, and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
How do we use your data?
We use your personal data for:
- Providing classes and workshops.
- Providing information that you request relating to our classes and workshops.
- Internal record keeping.
- To issue refunds, if applicable.
- Improving and personalising our classes and workshops.
- Sending you relevant information and updates should you sign up to receive them.
- Sending class material and schedules via email.
- Promotional and Marketing purposes: with your agreement, to contact you via email, phone or mail about relevant classes, workshops, and events which we believe may interest you.
- Developing new services.
- Client insight and market research purposes, which helps us to better understand your needs.
- Informing you of any changes to our classes, workshops, or schedule.
- Enabling us to manage all interactions with you.
- Where we have a legal right or duty to disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute).
Who we may share your information with
Information will be seen by the Lipreading staff and contractors looking after you and by others involved in delivering your services. There is sometimes a need to share information about you with other third-party providers so that we can work together to provide you with the best possible service to meet your needs. We will only ever share your information when there is a legitimate need to do so. It may also be necessary to share some information with:
- Third party contractors.
- Business associates and other professional advisers.
- Financial organisations.
- Official bodies.
- Service providers including online software.
We never share personal data with any other organisation for third party purposes.
With your written permission, we may share your name and contact details with other students so that you can contact each other.
We may use your Personal Data for electronic marketing purposes and to provide updates on services which are of interest and relevant to you as an individual. You have the right to opt out of receiving personal communications at any time by
- Following the “unsubscribe” instructions at the bottom of emails.
- Contacting us directly via the contact details within this policy.
Legal basis for using your data
We will only process data in accordance with a legal basis.
We will only collect and use your personal data as it is necessary:
- To pursue our legitimate interests.
- For the purposes of complying with our duties and exercising our rights under a contract for the sale of services to a client.
- To comply with our legal obligations; or
- Where you have consented to the use.
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.
- Processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject or another natural person.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Where consent is the only legal basis for processing, we will cease to process data after consent is withdrawn subject to the contents of this policy.
The usual basis for Processing
The usual basis for processing your data is that it is necessary to comply with a contract to provide services or for our legitimate interests which include:
- Selling and supplying lipreading classes and workshops to clients.
- Promoting, marketing, and advertising services.
- Sending promotional communications which are relevant and tailored to clients.
- Understanding client behaviours, preferences and needs.
- Improving existing services and developing new products and services.
- Complying with legal and regulatory obligations.
- Preventing crime and fraud.
- Handling client contracts, queries, complaints, and disputes (including refunds).
- Managing any claims made by clients (including legal).
Links on the website
To deliver products and services to you, it may be necessary to share your Personal Data outside of the United Kingdom. This will occur when service providers are located abroad. Any transfers made will be in full compliance with all aspects of UK GDPR and follow the country specific legislation.
How we protect your Personal Data
We are committed to keeping your personal data safe and secure. We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your Personal Data from being accidentally lost, used, or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered, or disclosed.
These measures include:
- Strong passwords.
- Firewall and antivirus software.
- Regular checks for spyware and malware.
- Limit access to Personal Data to those with a business need to know.
We will strive to protect your Personal Data in all means reasonably required. However, absolute security cannot be guaranteed. We are not responsible for unauthorised or unintended access that is beyond our control.
We have appropriate measures in place to deal with any Personal Data breaches. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where legally required to do so.
How you can help us to protect your Personal Data
We will never ask you to confirm any bank account or credit details via email. If you receive an email or other contact claiming to be from us asking you to do this, please ignore it and do not respond.
How long do we keep your Personal Data?
We only retain your Personal Data for as long as necessary for the purpose it was collected.
Certain types of information need to be kept for longer than other information. We will not keep information about you longer than is necessary or longer than required by law.
The longest we will normally hold any Personal Data is seven years.
Keeping your information accurate and up to date
It is important that the Personal Data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your Personal Data changes.
Your rights in respect of your data
You have rights relating to your personal information, these are:
- To ask for a copy of the Personal Data that we hold about you and check that we are lawfully processing it (Right to access).
- To request that we delete or remove Personal Data held on you, where we no longer have any legal reason to retain it. This is subject to our legal rights below (Right of erasure).
- To ask us to update and correct any incomplete or inaccurate Personal Data that we hold about you (Right of rectification).
- To opt out of any marketing communications that we may send to you and to object to using/holding your Personal Data if we have no legitimate reasons to do so (Right to object).
- To ask to restrict processing of Personal Data, this enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data (only in certain circumstances).
- To ask to supply you or a third party with some of the Personal Data we hold about you in a machine-readable format (Right to data portability/transfer).
- To withdraw consent at any time. We may not then be able to provide services to you and you will be advised accordingly.
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the contact details below.
However, please note we have a legal requirement to keep some of your Personal Data even after you have asked us to delete it. This is to ensure that we can meet our legal or regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, prevent fraud, or enforce our contract with you.
Can I see my records?
You have the right to ask what Personal Data we hold about you and to request a free copy of the information. This is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). SARs must be in writing and accompanied by proof of your identity and address. If you want specific information e.g., a particular timeframe, please clarify this.
If someone is requesting information on your behalf, we shall need your written consent and evidence of ID for both of you.
We must provide you with the information you request within 30 days although we will endeavour to do so as soon as possible.
We have the right to charge for unreasonable requests e.g., repeated requests for the same information.
If you have questions or complaints about this privacy notice or want to exercise your rights, please contact Helen Barrow as below.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone number: 07976 268810. Please note that texts are preferred due my hearing loss. If you are not satisfied with the response, you should contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) see https://ico.org.uk.
The laws of England and Wales will govern this privacy notice.
Privacy Notice Updates
This Privacy Notice will be updated from time to time so please check this page occasionally for any changes.