Helen Barrow of Lipreading.me.uk (referred to as “I” or “me” in this policy) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal data. I am dedicated to being transparent about what data I collect about you and how I use it.
This policy aims to provide you with information about how I collect and process your data. This includes what personal data I collect, how I use your data, how I ensure your privacy is maintained and your legal rights relating to your personal data.
What personal data do I collect?
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified.
I may collect the following information about you:
- Identity Data: title, first name, last name, age/date of birth and gender;
- Contact Data: your contact details, postal address including billing and delivery addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses;
- Financial data: should you require a refund, your bank account details;
- Emergency contact details: name, relationship and contact number;
- Classes and workshops attended by you;
- Your web browsing activities on my website;
- Your communication and marketing preferences;
- Your correspondence and communication with me;
- Publicly available personal data including information shared on social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook;
- Your computer’s IP address.
This list is not exhaustive and in specific instances, I may need to collect additional data for the purposes set out in this policy. Some of the above personal data is collected directly, i.e. volunteered by you via my website, telephone calls or emails or via Zoom and other personal data is collected indirectly, i.e. when you are browsing my website.
I will not collect any sensitive data about you.
My website is not intended for children and I do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
How do I use your data?
I use your personal data for:
- Providing my classes and workshops to you;
- Providing information to you that you request from me relating to my classes and workshops;
- Internal record keeping;
- To issue refunds, if applicable;
- Improving and personalising my classes and workshops;
- Sending you relevant information and updates should you sign up to receive them;
- Sending class material and schedules via email;
- Promotional and Marketing purposes: with your agreement, to contact you via email, phone or mail about relevant classes, workshops and events which I think may interest you;
- Developing new services;
- Client insight and market research purposes, which helps me to better understand your needs;
- Informing you of any changes to my classes, workshops or schedule;
- Enabling me to manage all interactions with you;
- Where I have a legal right or duty to disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute).
I may use your personal data for electronic marketing purposes and to provide updates on services which are of interest and relevant to you as an individual.
You have the right to opt out of receiving personal communications at any time by:
- Following the “unsubscribe” instructions at the bottom of emails
- Contacting me directly via the contact details within this policy
If you visit my website, you may receive personalised advertisements for my products and services whilst using other websites. Any advertisements you will see will relate to products or services you have viewed whilst browsing my website on your computer or other devices or which I believe are of interest to you.
I may process data about your use of my website and services (“usage data”). The usage data may include your IP address, location, browser type and version, operating system, referral source, length of visit, page views and website navigation paths, as well as information about the timing and pattern of your service use. This is used to allow me to process and analyse the use of my website.
Legal basis for using your data
I am required to set out the legal basis for my processing of your personal data.
I collect and use your personal data as it is necessary:
- To pursue my legitimate interests;
- For the purposes of complying with my duties and exercising my rights under a contract for the sale of services to a client;
- To comply with my legal obligations; or
- Where you have consented to the use.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Where consent is the only legal basis for processing, I will cease to process data after consent is withdrawn.
My legitimate interests
The usual basis for processing your data is that it is necessary for my legitimate interests which include:
- Selling and supplying lipreading classes and workshops to my clients;
- Promoting, marketing and advertising my services;
- Sending promotional communications which are relevant and tailored to clients;
- Understanding client behaviours, preferences and needs;
- Improving existing services and developing new products and services;
- Complying with legal and regulatory obligations;
- Preventing crime and fraud;
- Handling client contracts, queries, complaints and disputes (including refunds);
- Managing any claims made by clients (including legal).
Sharing data with Third Parties
With your written permission, I may share your name and contact details with other students so that you can get in contact with each other.
Other third parties
Aside from other students, I will not disclose your personal data to any other third party, except for those set out below:
- I store your information on all or some of the following: Microsoft One Drive
- Government bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies, courts/tribunals and insurers, where I am required to do so.
I will never sell or rent your data to other organisations for marketing purposes.
To deliver products and services to you, it may be necessary for me to share your data outside of the United Kingdom (“UK”). This will occur when service providers are located outside of the UK. I shall ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to your data when using these service providers.
How I protect your data
I am committed to keeping your personal data safe and secure. I have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed.
The measures I have implemented are:
- Strong passwords;
- Firewall and antivirus software;
- Regular checks for spyware and malware;
- Limit access to personal data to those with a business need to know.
I will strive to protect your data in all means reasonably required by me to do so. However, no internet site can be 100% secure and so I cannot be held responsible for unauthorised or unintended access that is beyond my control.
I have appropriate measures in place to deal with any personal data breaches and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where I am legally required to do so.
How you can help me protect your data
I will never ask you to confirm any bank account or credit details via email, if you receive an email claiming to be from me asking you to do this, please ignore it and do not respond.
How long do I keep your data?
I will only retain your data for as long as necessary for the purpose I collected it for. The longest I will normally hold any personal data is 7 years.
If you no longer wish for me to hold your information, you can contact me (see rights below). However, please note I have a legal requirement to keep some of your personal data even after you have asked me to delete it to ensure that I can meet my legal or regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, prevent fraud or enforce my contract with you.
It is important that the personal data I hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep me informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with me.
Your rights in respect of your data
You have rights relating to your personal information, these are:
- To ask for a copy of the personal data that I hold about you and check that I am lawfully processing it (right to access);
- To request that I delete or remove personal data held on you, where I no longer have any legal reason to retain it (right of erasure). Note: I may not always be able to comply with your request for erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request;
- To ask me to update and correct any incomplete or inaccurate personal data that I hold about you (right of rectification);
- To opt out of any marketing communications that I may send to you and to object to using/holding your personal data if I have no legitimate reasons to do so (right to object);
- To ask me to restrict processing of data, this enables you to ask me to suspend the processing of your personal data (only in certain circumstances);
- To ask me to supply you or a third party with some of the personal data I hold about you in a machine-readable format (right to data portability/transfer);
- To withdraw consent at any time where I am relying on consent to process your personal data. If you withdraw your consent, I may not be able to provide services to you. I will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact me using the contact details below.
You will not have to pay a fee to exercise any of the rights above. I may need to request specific information from you to help me confirm your identity, this is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
I try to respond to all requests within one month. This may be longer if the request is complex, I will notify you if this is the case.
Exercising your rights
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone number: 07976268810
You have the right to lodge a complaint at any time with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). You can find further information, including contact details at https://ico.org.uk.
This policy was last updated on 7th April 2021.
I may update this policy from time to time so please check this page occasionally to ensure you are happy with any changes to this policy.